Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Never Give Up; Never Surrender!

I’ve chosen a motto for this year. “Never give up; never surrender!” from the movie Galaxy Quest. Whenever I need to strengthen my resolve, this runs through my head. I asked my friends on Facebook for some Bible verses that embodied this phrase. They included Joshua 1:9, Ecclesiastes 9:4, Galatians 6:9 and Revelations 2:10. The one I liked best came from Philippians 3:13: “Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead.” 
I get hung up on the past. Past mistakes, past criticisms. I can’t seem to let go, so I want to give up. But, if you want something badly enough, giving up cannot be an option. As this new year begins, I foresee many scary and exciting things on the horizon. A writers’ conference or two, asking people to rip my book to shreds so I can make it better (who volunteers for that?), submitting proposals, finishing new projects, and on and on. Some of these things intimidate me, but over and over again I will recite, “Never give up; never surrender!”

No comments:

Post a Comment