Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Do They Like ME or My Book?

One big no-no when querying agents/publishers/editors is to let them know how much people love your book.  Why?  Because friends and family like you.  Maybe they don't want to hurt your feelings with the truth or they may not know good writing.  So I, of course, wonder if the positive responses I have received are a reflection of how much I am loved or if they really do like the story.  Here are the clues I've put together to lift my self-esteem when I question the honesty of my readers.  (Note:  None of these readers are related to me and two are almost complete strangers.)
1.  One girl read the manuscript through twice.
2.  Another girl saw me carrying a binder and eagerly asked, "Is that book 3?"  (To which I responded, "Nope.  Not until I get a publisher.")
3.  A person completely outside of the intended demographic read through book two in one day.
4.  A boy (again, not the intended demographic) read the manuscript.  Sure, he was out of books to read, but he finished even after getting new books in his preferred genre.
5.  Last week at church, a friend said he'd talked with his sister and she wanted to know if I had any more books that he could bring when he came down to visit.
More people have read the book than the five listed and all have had positive things to say about it.  And only three readers took more than three weeks to finish.  So, when my self-confidence is down, I can look at this list and think, "Maybe it's not just me they like."

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Sarah

    You should still get the opinion of another writer. They have a more critical eye than people that you know. Initially, I gave my first manuscript to my friends and family members and they liked it. I wrote that thing back in 1994 or 1995 and when I look at that thing now I cringe - I'm in no way implying that your book is not good, just telling you about my experience! :-)

    Join a critique group or get a partner or something. I do realize that it might take time to find a good group or partner because I've heard sob stories about mis-matched critquers, but finding someone else in the industry to read your work is what you need to do.

    What you'd suggested in an email to me also sounds like a good idea! I hope you find a home for your book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for leaving a comment, Cecelia! I sent my mom part of my rough draft when I was about halfway through. Later, I apologized a dozen times for how terrible it was! I am sending it off to an editing service after I have a couple of people look over it again to make sure I didn't cut anything important that will leave a reader going, "Huh?"

    Sometimes, though, I wonder if everybody is just being nice to me.

    ReplyDelete